February 21, 2024


SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (KSL) — Salt Lake Metropolis Division of Airports officers outlined safety measures taken throughout an incident the place a Park Metropolis man used an emergency exit door to entry the airfield and later died after being discovered contained in the cowling of an airplane engine final week.

The 30-year-old Park Metropolis man had a ticket for a flight to Denver, Colorado. His household informed KSL he doubtless had a manic episode when he had a confrontation with an airport retailer worker, then was later discovered by police in a airplane engine within the de-icing space. They mentioned he was touring to see his dying grandfather and had missed his flight.

Invoice Wyatt, government director of the Salt Lake Metropolis Division of Airports, mentioned airport officers reviewed Monday’s safety response and concluded their investigation. Different businesses, together with the Salt Lake Metropolis Police Division, FAA, NTSB and TSA are nonetheless investigating the incident involving Kyler Efinger.

“We did sit down with all the important thing events, the TSA, PD from downtown, our personal crew and I believe the overall conclusion from a safety perspective is that this went pretty effectively,” Wyatt mentioned. “From starting to finish it was about 10 minutes.”

Officers allowed KSL to see the within the airport’s management heart, which is the place the primary name that launched the emergency response was acquired.

“One of many concessionaries within the store (Efinger) was at had known as the management heart, and had began making a report of a disturbance, ” mentioned Treber Andersen, the director of operations.

Police informed KSL TV that Efinger mentioned one thing that made staff fearful for his welfare. They mentioned he went to a retailer after getting by way of safety.

Andersen mentioned as soon as that decision was made, staff checked out a digital camera that was monitoring Efinger’s location. He mentioned Efinger then walked to an emergency exit door about half a mile from that retailer.

“These exit doorways are hearth code necessities, and they also have panic bars and when you push the panic bar, a door goes to open, and there are about 60 of them,” Wyatt mentioned. “It will be unattainable to employees all of them if there’s a hearth, an explosion, if there’s an energetic shooter, folks have to get out now.”

When Efinger walked by way of the door, it triggered an alarm.

“It was virtually 10 o’clock at night time so it was darkish, so there was a sure level the place he went into an airfield the place it was extra darkish,” Andersen mentioned.

Officers mentioned by that time, they knew precisely who he was and the place he was. Thermal cameras within the management heart tracked him out onto the airfield. Officers mentioned, at the moment of day and in that space, there have been no different people on the tarmac. They mentioned pilots adopted protocol and known as in sightings of Efinger.