December 4, 2023

By Pat Reavy |

TAYLORSVILLE, Utah (KSL) — A Taylorsville, Utah lady was hospitalized in vital situation after police say she was attacked by her son’s canine in her personal yard, leaving her with “intensive accidents” to her legs, fingers and face.

One of many 63-year-old lady’s legs needed to be amputated by docs, in accordance with Taylorsville police. Officers had been pressured to fatally shoot one of many “violent” pit bulls when it additionally threatened officers, in accordance with police.

As of Thursday afternoon, the girl remained hospitalized in vital situation and police had not but been in a position to communicate to her to ask what led as much as the assault.

The incident occurred about 2:30 p.m. Tuesday on the lady’s residence close to 4800 South and 2900 West. The girl referred to as 911 whereas injured and nonetheless in her yard to report “she had been attacked and bitten by a number of canine who’re owned by her son,” in accordance with a ready assertion from police.

“The girl additionally reported that the household of pit bulls, together with the mom and father canine and 5 puppies, had been nonetheless within the yard together with her. She was in a position to name 911 on a cell phone she had together with her,” police mentioned.

In line with a spokeswoman for Taylorsville, the grownup male canine was 1 yr outdated, the feminine was 3 years outdated, and the puppies had been 3 months outdated. The girl was attacked after she went to the yard to feed them. The canine have lived on the residence their complete lives and the girl was aware of them, in accordance with the town. What prompted the assault on Tuesday was nonetheless underneath investigation.

Officers arrived to search out the girl injured, semiconscious and nonetheless surrounded by the pack.

“The canine additionally aggressively confronted paramedics and police, who deployed pepper spray to drive them away so they may bounce the fence. From there, they had been in a position to get the canine away from the girl, containing them in a bunch alongside the other fence,” police mentioned.

After the girl was taken to an area hospital, her 38-year-old son surrendered his canine to the town. However as officers tried to safe the 2 grownup canine, the feminine “broke free, endangering each Taylorsville police and animal management officers on scene, (and) was fatally shot by police,” in accordance with the town.

The canine had been within the custody of animal management on Thursday afternoon. Police had been talking to their proprietor to find out in the event that they had been aggressive earlier than the assault.