Every week after lightning storms sparked dozens of wildfires, evacuation orders and warnings stay in place in 4 counties in California’s northwestern nook.
The Smith River Complicated in Del Norte County is the state’s second largest wildfire of the season, having burned 35,053 acres (55 sq. miles) as of Monday, Aug. 21. (California’s largest wildfire of 2023 is York, at greater than 90,000 acres.)
Warnings of hazardous or very unhealthy air high quality had been issued Aug. 21 for the communities of Somes Bar, Weitchpec, Hoopa, Willow Creek and Gasquet. Wildfire smoke forecasts can be issued day by day by the North Coast air high quality company.
The map above exhibits the obligatory evacuation orders in purple and the approximate perimeters of the biggest fires in black. Coloured dots present the areas of a few of the smaller fires.
For updates and extra info, see the hyperlinks underneath every fireplace’s description.
Del Norte County
1/ Smith River Complicated (orange dots). Official measurement 35,053 acres (55 sq. miles). Virtually all of that’s the merged Vacation and Kelly fires, which have crossed into Oregon.
- Evacuation order: Gasquet and all different communities alongside Freeway 199 from simply east of Hiouchi to the Oregon line, plus residents in forested areas close to the most important fires.
- Energy outage: Pacific Energy has de-energized transmission traces within the county and has no estimate for time of restoration. Mills are powering traces for some crucial companies and companies in Crescent Metropolis.
- Faculties: Opening date has been pushed again to Sept. 5.
2/ Glad Camp Complicated (purple dots). 13 fires totaling 11,308 acres (18 sq. miles), together with Head (6,469 acres), Canyon (1,108), Elliott, Three Creeks, Swillup. Greater than 1,600 constructions are threatened and 9 have been destroyed. One resident, a 71-year-old man, was discovered useless outdoors his residence close to Scott Bar, within the evacuation zone.
- Evacuation order: Two areas totaling greater than 500 sq. miles, proven in purple on the map, plus warnings for 18 different zones (warning areas not proven; see Genasys hyperlink under).
3/ Six Rivers Forest Lightning Complicated (purple dots). Fires totaling 4,435 acres, the biggest being Lone Pine (1,624, on the fringe of the Hoopa Valley reservation) and Pearch (981).
- Evacuation warning: The warning zone for Pearch covers a part of Siskiyou County as properly. See the Genasys hyperlink under for boundaries.
4/ South Fork Complicated (blue dots). Largest fires 3-9 and Pilot have burned about 900 acres. No evacuation orders or warnings.
5/ Deep Hearth, 3,662 acres. Evacuation order for a sparsely inhabited space of the Trinity Alps Wilderness.
6/ Bennett Hearth. Evacuation warning in impact at county’s west edge.