SAN LEANDRO — Firefighters had been battling a two-alarm blaze Wednesday afternoon at a 7-Eleven retailer, authorities mentioned.
No accidents had been reported as of 1:45 p.m.
The hearth erupted about 12:20 p.m. on the retailer at East 14th Road and 136th Avenue, the Alameda County Fireplace Division mentioned.
Individuals inside the shop had been in a position to get out on their very own.
Akshey Gaba, a clerk on the retailer, mentioned somebody got here into the shop and mentioned there was a hearth outdoors and when the supervisor went outdoors to analyze he might see the fireplace burning. The clerk mentioned he and others inside then ran out and will additionally see flames beginning to engulf the shop. “It was scary,” he mentioned.
Water was being poured on the fireplace from aerial ladders and floor items. A portion of the roof collapsed, hearth division spokesperson Cheryl Hurd mentioned.
Streets within the space had been shut down whereas firefighters battled the blaze and folks had been being requested to keep away from the world.
Residents at some adjoining flats and college students and workers at close by San Leandro Excessive College had been advised to shelter in place as a precaution, authorities mentioned.
Hurd mentioned preliminary info is that the fireplace began outdoors the shop, probably close to a dumpster. The precise trigger stays below investigation, she mentioned.
Workers photographer Jane Tyska contributed to this growing report. Test again for updates.